Researchers will be selected following an open, transparent, merit-based, impartial and equitable selection procedure. The presented PhD employment contracts are in line with the MSCA guidelines. In the Collective Labour Agreements of Dutch Universities, rules and regulations on e.g. parental leave are stated. Successful applicants will be assisted by the HR departments and if necessary the International Service Desk (ISD) relating to studying and working in the Netherlands.
The requirements for the applications are as follows:
- All applications must be received before the deadline. Candidates can only apply for a position using the applications form (see the available projects), applications received via other channels will not be taken into account. The application should be complete, including a written motivation letter, explaining the choice for the selected position(s); a Curriculum Vitae; contact details of two referees and copies of relevant diplomas and grades list.
- The NESSC office will screen the applications for the eligibility criteria. The Selection Committees (SC) will review the applications and invite a maximum of 3 candidates for each position based on the evaluation criteria (educational background, motivation, presentation skills, English language proficiency).
- The shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview, which will be in person or through video conference. Topics of discussion during the interviews may include: the candidate’s motivation, drive and ambitions, learning goals, educational and theoretical background, experimental skills, choice of the host research group, overall potential to carry out the project successfully and their pursued future career, and more informally suitability to the working atmosphere and team compatibility. Candidates may be asked to present their Master thesis or discuss a pre-selected paper or write a one-page project proposal.
- The top ranked candidates for each position are discussed within the SC and the NESSC Steering Committee. Profiles of the highest ranked candidates will be carefully considered to ensure a well-balanced group of candidates, e.g. considering experience and career paths, nationality and gender.
- The succesfull candidates will be offered a PhD employment contract at one of the five NESSC institutes.
Note: Ineligible, disqualified or rejected candidates are informed via an electronic letter as soon as possible, which may occur at different stages in the recruitment procedure.