NESSC will host 31 excellent, talented, enthusiastic, highly motivated and goal-oriented Early Stage Researchers (ESRs), with a no-nonsense mentality. The ideal candidates are interested in climate research, are highly motivated to perform research in an excellent, exciting and international working environment, and are committed to a 4 year PhD track. They are excited about moving to the Netherlands and to perform a secondment at one of the NESSC COFUND Partner Organisations in the Netherlands or globally.
Requirements for candidates
- Candidates hold an MSc degree (or will graduate before the appointment date) in mathematics, physics, chemistry, ecology, earth sciences and/or environmental sciences.
- Affinity with climate research of the past and/or current climate.
- Excellent proficiency of the English language (both oral and written).
- The ability to work both independently in challenging environments and in a multidisciplinary team. Excellent communication skills and cooperation skills are required.
- An inquisitive mind-set, accuracy, creativity and self-reliance are very important. You are required to be flexible, mobile and pro-active.
- Enthusiasm to attend the full training program as offered in the project and to actively contribute to the project aims and objectives.
- High interest in receiving training from supervisors from different institutes, disciplines and sectors, this will require regular travelling within the Netherlands.
- High motivation to contribute to the dissemination of results and outreach to both specialists and the public at large.
- Enthusiasm to visit a Partner Organisations for a secondment (internship), in or outside the Netherlands, as this is part of the programme. Additional research visits to international institutes for research collaborations are expected.
- Strong motivation to obtain a PhD degree.
Marie Skłodowska Curie criteria:
In accordance with the very strict EC Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions (MSCA) COFUND eligibility criteria, these additional criteria hold for the 13 COFUNDED positions:
- Candidates did not reside or carry out their main activity (e.g. reside, work, studies) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months during the 3 years immediately prior to the date of appointment (time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account),
- Candidates are in the first four years of their research careers at the start of their NESSC COFUND appointment (full-time equivalent research experience, measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree entitling him or her to embark on a doctorate) and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
Please note: The COFUND positions aren’t tied to a specific project. Once all the applications are received, we will first select 13 candidates who are eligible to fill the COFUNDED positions (according to the MSCA rules). After these positions have been filled, the other positions will be filled with the most suitable candidates.
Please click here to find more out about the evaluation criteria